An industry initiative for standardization of Object-Based Audio (OBA) positioning data in live production ecosystems by implementing the Audio Definition Model (ADM) over Open Sound Control (OSC).
L-Acoustics, FLUX::SE, Radio-France
Adamson, BBC, d&b Audiotechnik, DiGiCo, Dolby, Lawo, Magix, Merging Technologies, Meyer Sound, Steinberg
Currently supported in
- SPAT Revolution (FLUX::SE)
- L-ISA Controller (L-Acoustics)
- Ovation (Merging Technologies)
- Nuendo (Steinberg)
- SpaceMap Go (Meyer Sound)
- QLAB 5 (Figure 53)
- Space Controller (Sound Particles)
- Modulo Kinetic (Modulo Pi)
- Iosono (Barco)
- FletcherMachine (Adamson)
Immersive audio is gaining ground in different industries, from music streaming to gaming, from live sound to broadcast. ADM or Audio Definition Model, is becoming a popular standard metadata model in some of these industries, with serialADM used in broadcast or ADM bwf or xml files used in the studio.
Motivation & goals
- To facilitate the sharing of audio objects metadata between a live ecosystem and a broadcast or studio ecosystem.
- To define a basic layer of interoperability between Object Editors and Object renderers while not aiming at replacing more complete manufacturer specific protocols or grammars.
- To define a direct translation of the most relevant ADM Object Properties onto a communication protocol widely used in the live industry, OSC.
- Keeping the grammar scope aligned with the ADM properties.
- Share this proposal with the EBU so they can become a relay, publish and support this initiative.
- Extend this small grammar to more ADM properties (beds, etc.) in the future.
Why OSC ?
- Lightweight network protocol
- Easy to implement
- Human readable
- Supports wildcards and bundles
- Specification: Open Sound Control website
- Available in a plethora of professional audio hardware and software devices
The current dictionary covers most Object properties from the Audio Definition model.
A more complete dictionary is being discussed to cover the remaining parts of the Audio Definition model.
OSC Live test tool (talker and listener OSC Live test tool) is now available.